Monday, January 21, 2013

Rudi's Passing November 2012

It has been a long time since I have posted anything on my blog..  Sorry for the delay and I apologize to anyone who has been checking it out and found no updates.
     Family, work and emotional things had put me on hold, then came storm Sandy.  Our house and family were very blest.  We only had no electricity or heat for a week.  The blessing was our gas stove, where we were able to heat hot water for heat and cooking and had a generator for a radio, refrigerator and lights from dawn until 8-9pm.  It was nice getting up early and going to be earlier than usual.  We had no computer, TV or cell phones, but had a land phone, where our children and anyone else could contact us.  My husband needed to run for gas for the generator every couple of days and two friends lent us 5 gallon gas cans, one with gas in it.  What a blessing they were.  Did not work for two weeks because the Pre School was flooded out on the first floor. The owner was wonderful in paying us for one week.  Some of us stopped bye to help strip rugs and other garbage from the building the 1st week.  What a mess!  My husband and I tried to help where we could in town.  It did not feel like enough, but did what we could.
     The Sunday after Sandy 11/04/12, Rudi was having a had time breathing.  I petted her for awhile and we tried to make her comfortable in her bed.  I felt she was going to leave us, if not that day very soon after.  I left for 11:30 Mass and when I returned from Church she had passed on.  My husband said shortly after I left for Church.  We miss her terribly.  4 days befor her birthday.

No pictures, please.
Can't you tell, this is my spot.
      She was funny.  When she did not want her picture taken, she turned her head away as she did in this picture.  Rudi was still very fiesty (spelling?), as most Jack Russells are.A friend allowed us to bury her on their back lot  They had 2-3 acres where we had less then 1/8th of an acre.  It is the first time one of our pets was not buried here, but we had no more room and the ground started to freeze.
     I had a hard time mentioning at first, but found talking about her help me go through the mourning.  I belong to a spontaneous writing group and it helped me when the topic was "storms."
She was with us through many storms, but mostly through lifes transitions.  Our son had left the nest and our daughters were in high school when we brought her home from a pet store.  Only 9 inches, maybe 8" long. She fit inside a 9" kitchen floor tile.  The darling grew to about 14" long and 12-13", top of head, tall.  A people lover, she always greeted people with great excitement, but apprehensive with other dogs, even her family cousins, who stopped over only a few times a year.  One being a boxer and the other a puggle, she knew to stay at a safe distance because of her size.  After 15-20 minutes she would run with them after balls or toys. 
     The past 3 years she had come to accept our cat, Gypsi, but once in awhile chase her, letting the cat know who rules this roost.  The cat would sneak up to Rudi, when she was sleeping, sniff her, then scoot passed her to finally get to the bedroom to snooze for awhile.  The past year Rudi's hearing and eye sight was not so good, so Gypsi could saunter around Rudi without being chased.
     The past few weeks I have been looking for another pooch, a mini Aussie shepherd.  They are cute and a bit bigger then Rudi.  I do not want a big dog.  I like the idea of picking them up easily and not being to heavy.  Also a bit bigger would be nice for my husband and walking it, for excersize.
     God bless all of our pets, who are truely family members who are loved and love us back.
Rudi, JR ... 11/08/'95--11/04/2012 .. Miss and love you sweetie.

No comments:

Post a Comment